The Uposatha is a time to intensify one's own meditation and Dharma practice, for instance, meditating an extra session or for a longer time, reading or chanting special Buddhist texts, recollecting or giving in some special way.
For lay practitioners, the Uposatha is a time to intensify one's meditation and Dharma practice. For example, meditating for an extra session or a longer time, reading or chanting special sutras, eating only vegetarian, and practising Dana.
The Eight Precepts are for upāsakas and upāsikās who wish to practice Buddhism more strictly than through adherence to the five precepts.
The Buddha gave teachings on how the five precepts are to be practised.
- I undertake to abstain from causing harm and taking life (both human and non-human), and to abstain from eating meat.
- I undertake to abstain from taking what is not given (for example stealing, displacements that may cause misunderstandings).
- I undertake to abstain from sexual activity.
- I undertake to abstain from wrong speech: telling lies, deceiving others, manipulating others, using hurtful words.
- I undertake to abstain from using intoxicating drinks and drugs, which lead to carelessness.
